History

History of 82 Chatham Street

The Building at 82 Chatham Street first appears on an Ordinance Survey Map of 1898, but does not appear on the earlier one dated 1895, Therefore we can say with some confidence that the building was built between 1896 and 1897.

The first registered occupant was a C.B. Taylor, Physician, who lived there from 1899 to 1905. Following this a Mr R.T. Harding, Surgeon, lived there until 1907 and then a Mr E Hulme, Surgeon until 1910. Following this, the house moved into the possession or a Dr Rodrigues who stayed there until this retirement, whereon the house became a coal merchants establishment.

The house then came into the possession of the Stockport Progressive Spiritualist Church, who affiliated with the Spiritualist National Union in 1922, and this is still the case today.

 

Stockport Spiritualist Church Presidents

Patricia Foley 2012 – Present
Mr R Christie 1997 – 2012
Mr A Gibson 1997 – 1997
Mrs A Knight 1995 – 1997
Mr D Glindon 1992 – 1995
Mrs S Marsden 1990 – 1992
Mrs B Shenton 1988 – 1989
Mr J Wilcock 1985 – 1988
Mr R Williamson 1981 – 1985
No President 1980 – 1981
Mr M Freer 1980 – 1980
No President 1979 – 1980
Mrs J Roff 1978 – 1979
Mr L Wakefield 1976 – 1978
Mrs Y Ridings 1974 – 1976
No President 1974 – 1974
Mr L Wakefield 1973 – 1974
Mr A Keate 1972 – 1973
Mr R Williamson 1970 – 1972
Mr J Foster 1969 – 1970
Mr L Wakefield 1968 – 1969
Mr M Warren 1967 – 1968
Mrs E Edwards 1962 – 1967
Mr H Springate 1958 – 1962
Mrs E Edwards 1956 – 1958
Mr H Ennion 1954 – 1956
Mr J L T Hook 1950 – 1954
Mr J Foster 1949 – 1950
Mr H Ennion 1946 – 1949
Mr R Shaw 1944 – 1946
Mrs A Springate 1937 – 1944